In Other Media: Doctor Who-Agent Provocateur

Despite being a rather adamant fan of Matt Smith's incarnation of The Doctor, I won't try to say that I didn't love David Tennant's run on the character. He was, to quote The Doctor, brilliant! I just didn't really like how his incarnation went out OR the awful fanboyism/fangirlism that follows David Tennant's run on the role. He was amazing, Matt Smith is perfect.

So, when I finally came to the last of The tenth Doctor comics I hadn't read, I was actually a bit saddened. This was going to be my last adventure with the converse clad Time Lord. To sweeten the pot, this adventure features my all time favorite companion, the extremely awesome Martha Jones. So, you can imagine, I was pretty freaking stoked for this comic.

Going into it, there was one tiny detail that concern was the writer. As I mentioned on my original Doctor Who comic review (posted on Nerdvice MANY years ago long before time existed), Tony Lee is the freaking boss of bosses at writing Doctor Who. This mini-series was the first new era Doctor Who comic and is written by someone named Gary Russell. The back of the trade says that Russell is the story editor for the new series. I learned that just because someone edits other people shit does not mean they themselves are a good writer.

First, the good: the actual dialogue in this comic is amazing. It beats out some of Tony Lee's dialogue. My favorite moment is in the midst of battle and The Doctor and Martha seperately discuss their favorite Telletubby. Another time, a conversation about saving the universe suddenly descend into a discussion of what's been going on in the (then) recent episodes of ER. I can hear Freema Aygeman and David Tennant's voices coming through these words and that's a huge plus.

But then, there was the art. The art wasn't bad, by any means. But one of my biggest pet peeves with any mini-series is consistency. It's a mini-series so there's not that much. Do your best to keep the same freaking artist for the entire thing. It's just annoyingly jarring when there's a complete change up in the art style. Halfway through, The tenth Doctor's nose began taking up half the damn page!!



A switch up in the art style is HARDLY the worst sin of this comic though. The plot is just such a convoluted mess that I can barely describe it. At first, the Doctor and Martha on the search for the best chocolate milkshakes in the universe. Then, suddenly, there's this Egyptian cat-god(actually an alien. Duh) that's turning people into sand statues. Then it turns out this catgod works for some pantheon of alien Gods that are trying to make this super weapon that uses the psychic energy of billions of people(That they abducted off different planets) to fight this super baddie that we're told nothing about that's returning to the universe because ten planets(the ones the aliens were abducted from) are aligned. But it turns out all this super weapon needs to take out the unnamed super God from outside the universe is the Doctor's sonic.

Bigfudgesaywhat?

Just.....No.

This comic took me forever to read because it was just making so little sense and I almost didn't want to finish. It was a hard read and not at all a good farewell to the Tenth Doctor and Martha for me. Die hard, Whovians? There might be something here for you. But otherwise, avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment